Thursday, August 30, 2012

What I learned on distribution day


What I learned on distribution day

Joe Redmond
Today was a long day. It was rewarding, nerve racking, and frankly inspiring. I have never felt so proud of my staff and my peers. I consider myself a fairly cynical person, but gosh darn it, if days keep going like this, negativity will be the last thing on my mind.
[Insert cheesy picture here]
It was comments like, “You got Jake and Amir? That’s sick!”, “What is this…? Oh, very cool!”, “I’m really happy for you; that’s really something special,” that made all of the hard work Strike has put into the issue worthwhile. I still can’t get over the feeling of asking someone if they wanted an issue, to which they would respond, “I already have two.”
That makes me ecstatic. Two.
Suddenly the world was a bit brighter and people were a bit nicer, all because of one magazine. I would really like to hand it to the community, because something like this could just fall through the cracks. Instead, people reading and sharing our publication brought people together. The community had a common thread on which to discuss. One person even laughed out loud in class reading our staff editorial.
This would be nothing without the support of our community. We tend to dwell on the differences between us, but in the end, people are inherently kind to each other. It’s crazy how far a little optimism and initiative can go.
As much as I tried to focus today on school, today was all about you guys. You all made this possible. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment