Sunday, May 5, 2013

'The Dylan Songbook' Project

The Dylan Songbook

Bob Dylan has written 458 officially released songs on record. The greatest American songwriter has a massive catalog, to say the least. When such a large catalog exists, it makes it difficult for fans and fellow musicians to find accurate chords and music for the songs. Most versions of the music that exist online aren't official, and vary from website to website as a result of fan interpretation of songs.
Yes, finding the correct version of "Blowing in the Wind" is probably pretty easy. But what about the correct version of "Most of the Time" from Bob's 1989 album "Oh Mercy"?

This is why I am creating the Dylan Songbook. In the near future I will be releasing a free e-book (PDF Download) of my Dylan songbook. The songbook will contain roughly 200 of (in my opinion) Dylan's most enjoyable, meaningful and most importantly, playable songs. Every song will have the (most) correct music interpretation  to date. And of course, the catalog will be organized neatly by year and/or album for ease of use.

My catalog is aimed primarily at guitarists, so many of the songs will just be the guitar chords. But, using sources and publications at my disposal, I will be doing my best to provide full sheet music for at least half of the songs. This way, pianists and other instrumentalists can enjoy the catalog as well.

The catalog is primarily for myself, as I will print it out and create a binder for myself. Nevertheless, I hope that digitalizing the project and making it available to you all may prove helpful in not only finding the correct Dylan sheet music to his songs, but also finding it easy. This is for all of you who are sick of sifting through 10 versions of the same song on different chord websites to find the version that sounds right.

Please let me know if there are any songs you'd like to request I include.


Best Regards,

Brett Stewart (Editor & Publisher of Strike)



No comments:

Post a Comment